Total Pageviews

Monday, January 20, 2020

Sustainable Fine Dining

The questioning host flows
her white Buddhist gown
past plates of hamachi. 
Trump and Soleimani 
sat by firelight
a one-breasted queen
appraising the room. 

Among gangstas the streets never mean 
quite the same shit.
Nerves already on edge
the darklight of a Capricorn birthday
menacing acid to begin.
Glaring drivers’ eyes say
Dragon marrow: $Your life
(Thus…thusly…isthathowyousayit?)
with money in my throat I sit down
to a menu 25 fucking pages long.
Wild boar was on the menu
hunks of lobster genetically enhanced 
lettuce washed by salmonella rain.
Elk guts. Bison nuggets.
Excellent choice*.

Like many of us
I vomit prime rib and ferns
gut clenched by a bitter beast
that lives in the night-gone-bad.

Around the fireplace, sand—
the scratch of sandpiper feet
becomes a battle map
with buried bones
as if that helps the fact
I'm bleeding out this time.

And see? The end of the hour 
has brought cute couples in to watch me die.
Never again will I wish for more history.
Do not think poisoning 
is easier than torture
or slow decay.

Minority rules treason house arrest. 
This restaurant fooking sooks!

Trump has disappeared into a motorcade.
Soleimani is just a few chunks on the marble.

The questioning host flows her white gowns.
when someone shouts aloud and truly 
This venison is something else!




*I ordered the rockfish.
The waiter said Excellent choice.
I said Well how is the moose?
I was actually considering that too.
An excellent choice.
I tried to joke
Well how about the porterhouse?
He replied Excellent choice.
I was like What on here isn’t an excellent choice?
and shoved the menu in the air.
What about the duck egg quiche. 
The oysters Rockefeller.
Ah, excellent choices, all, sir.

I said Ok look you, stop all this pandering
and find me something here that isn’t an excellent choice.
I don’t even want anything good anymore.
Just get me something, the worst thing here.
That’s what I want. Jesus! Quail, 
the quail with fig and chantarelles.
How’s that one?
Very stern he told me
That will not be an excellent choice.
I said Good, give me that.

Another couple came in minutes later.
The man ordered the quail with chantarelles.
Same waiter.
Excellent choice.

No comments: