Total Pageviews

Friday, January 17, 2020

Commute


Concrete sky and gulls with '87 turbo Supra.  
Past the strip mall, a strip joint, a Target  
one arrives in dirty weather 
predetermined to be hot despite the snowfall  
and dismay as deep as hell.

Love is being offered to the vicious.  
Death to the betrayed  
money to the wealthy  
blackmail to the desperate  
insults to the patriots  
the nation to an enemy. 
And people were like 
Yeah. Because of you. 

Perhaps blood will flow one day. 
Perhaps it’s not America  
but the custom of success  
to dissolve in distress.
Ya no lo se.
I come from an office. See
I smell of garam masala
body-odor cortisol tuna-fish fever and cologne.
What do I know?
Go on, disbelieve me.

I heard the Pledge was a pagan act
no better than bowing to Caligula. 
As the stupid washed in from the radio 
I got my father's meaning 
by word of new abuse 
the veneration of crime 
venal officials  
sucking billionaire chum 
as democracy shut down  
to something sickly new. 

Just now the drug addict came to my car.  
This is a once in a lifetime opportunity sir!  
I gave him a cigarette, no money  
and wondered how 
this would be interpreted in heaven.

One day we must name our ways  
as northerners name types of snow.  
Snow falling equally  
on a strip mall, a strip joint, an intersection
arriving in the dirty wind  
predetermined to be hot despite the snowfall  
and dirty as a gas station  
with no money to get home  
though everyone has said  
they need me here tomorrow.

No comments: